Friday, May 28, 2010

Overwhelmed

Some days, like today I have many worries and concerns on my heart and I feel overwhelmed. I read a few blogs on a regular basis and this is what I found today about being overwhelmed from the girltalk blog.

Feeling Overwhelmed?

1. Cast your cares on the Lord because He cares for you (1 Peter 5:7). Pour your heart out to the Lord. He already knows the details of your life and what is causing you to feel overwhelmed.

2. Remind yourself that you need a Savior. Feeling overwhelmed is often a sign that we’re trying in our own strength to do what He’s called us to do. We will never succeed with mere physical and mental stamina. We desperately need His grace and the power of the Holy Spirit. He has made us to need Him. If appropriate, repent of pride and declare your complete dependence on Jesus. Tell yourself the gospel in detail. Here are a few sections you can look up to soak yourself in the truth of the gospel: Romans 3:23-26, Romans 5:6-11, Romans 8:32-39. Also consider reading The Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney.

3. Also, meditate on Scriptures to remind you of the truth such as:
Psalm 94:19: When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.

Nahum 1:7: The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.

Isaiah 40:11: He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.

Isaiah 40:28-29: Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.

Isaiah 41:10: Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

2 Corinthians 12:9: My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

4. Guard your mind and enjoy today.

Matthew 6:34: Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. [Also see Matthew 6:25-34.]

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Psalm 139:1-3: O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with my ways.

Isaiah 26:3-4: You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal.

Philippians 4:6-7: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

5. Cultivate gratefulness. Start with the gospel and consider all of the other categories of your life (husband, child(ren), home, church, friends, food, clothing....). It may be helpful to write this down.

Nothing gives the believer so much joy as fellowship with Christ. He has enjoyment...in the common mercies of life, he can be glad in God’s gifts and God’s works; but, in all these separately, yea, and in all of them added together, he doth not find such substantial delight as in the matchless person of his Lord Jesus.
-C.H. Spurgeon

compiled by Lisa Donovan 4/03

No comments:

Post a Comment